A middle-aged man has allegedly been beaten to death by angry residents of Omuo Ekiti in the Ekiti East Council area of Ekiti State for attempting to kidnap a seven-year-old boy.
The incident occurred about 2.30 pm on Friday when pupils were returning from school.
According to a source, “The man, who sighted the suspected kidnapper, had raised an alarm as he (suspect) grabbed the boy and forcibly dragged him into the nearby bush. This propelled residents, who came out en masse to pounce on the suspect and beat him until he relapsed into coma.
“The suspect trailed the boy home from school. When he realised that the boy had reached a bushy footpath, he pounced on him and started dragging him into the bush. He would have been successful if not for a man who was looking from afar that raised an alarm. Residents caught him in the act and beat him to stupor.
“It was later that the police arrived and took the suspect to the station with the aim of taking him to the hospital for treatment, but police effort to save his life was futile,” the source said.
Sunday Abutu, the Police Public Relations Officer for Ekiti State Command, who confirmed the incident on Sunday, said the suspect died immediately they got to the police station.
Abutu, who said the security agents responded to the call of one of the chiefs in the area, said, “When we got the information, the police rushed to the scene of the incident, but the man had already gone into a coma.
“The mob action was very thick, but the police tried and rescued him and the intention was to first take him to the station for cover before rushing him to the hospital for medical attention. Unfortunately, he died in the station as a result of the beating”.