North Korea finally records first case of Coronavirus
The nation of North Korea has over the weekend finally reported its first case of Coronavirus.
The country’s state-run media made the revelation, which indicated that a defector who had left for South Korea three years ago, returned illegally, carrying the coronavirus with him.
Meanwhile, North Korea has imposed a lockdown in Kaesong city which borders South Korea and where it is said to have discovered the first suspected case of the coronavirus, AFP reported on Sunday.
According to the news agency which quoted the official Korean Central News Agency, the patient has been put under “strict quarantine”, including any other person who has come into contact with him. KCNA declared that it was a “dangerous situation which may lead to a deadly and destructive disaster”.
North Korean officials further stated that “severe punishment” will be given to those who are responsible for allowing the man cross the border, BBC reported. But South Korea has not reported any incidents of border crossings into the North.
Kim Jong-un, the North Korean leader also had an emergency meeting of the Politburo on Saturday to implement a “maximum emergency system and issue a top-class alert” to contain the virus. Kim was quoted as saying that “the vicious virus could be said to have entered the country”.
In could be recalled that North Korea has so far denied that there are any cases of the virus in the country and had completely closed its borders in January, and imposed a tough lockdown.
The country’s Leader, Kim at the beginning of this month said they will keep the borders closed “for the foreseeable future”. He had also celebrated his country’s “shining success” in keeping the coronavirus out.