Gunmen kills man in Kogi after payment of N5m ransom
A senior staff of an oil company in Portharcourt, Ojonimi Ossai has been hacked to death by his abductors despite the payment of a five million naira(N5m ) ransom.
It was gathered that late Ojonimi Ossai was on his way to attend the burial of his father-in-law in his country home at Igala Mela /Odolu local government of Kogi State when he was abducted on Itobe-Anyigba road last weekend.
A source from the family said a ransom of N5 million naira was delivered to his abductors but unfortunately, his corpse was picked from the bush in the early morning of Tuesday.
Late Ossai who was said to have been in the service of the oil company for about 23 years was reported to have contested attending the burial ceremony in his hometown but later succumbed to family pressure, leaving his base in Port Harcourt to Kogi State.
A family source hinted that his protest was hinged on what he had described as the ‘fragile security’ situation in his home state.
“He came home in a jalopy car to disguise himself from kidnappers. Yet, he ran into them at Itobe – Anyigba road. We picked his corpse this early morning from the bush”, a family source disclosed.
It would be recalled that about this time last year, precisely 9th January 2021, a Saudi Arabia based oil magnate, Ogacheko Atanu who was on holiday at Idah (in that flank) was shot and killed by yet to be ascertained hoodlums.
However, the Kogi State Police Public Relations Officer,( PPRO) DSP William Ovye Aya was contacted but said the command is yet to get the detail of the incident.