Aftermath of Beirut Explosion, Lebanese PM finally resigns
In the aftermath of a devastating Beirut explosion, which has killed at least 160 people and left more than 6,000 injured, Hassan Diab, the Lebanon’s prime minister and the country’s entire government have finally resigned.
Prime Minister Diab, while speaking during a brief televised speech, said that the explosion that rocked Beirut last week was caused by “endemic corruption” and called for trial on those responsible for the deadly blast.
“I declare today the resignation of this government. May God protect Lebanon.
“I am taking “a step back” to stand with the people and fight the battle for change alongside them,” he said.
Diab equally blamed corrupt politicians who preceded him for the “earthquake” that has hit Lebanon.
According to him, “They should have been ashamed of themselves because their corruption is what has led to this disaster that had been hidden for seven years.
“Today we follow the will of the people in their demand to hold accountable those responsible for the disaster that has been in hiding for seven years, and their desire for real change.
“In the face of this reality I am announcing today the resignation of this government,” he added.
It could be recalled that a huge explosion rocked Lebanese capital Beirut on Tuesday killing dozens and injuring thousands of people, as well as destroying many buildings and vehicles.