After Typhoon Haishen’s damages in Japan, it now threatens Korea

The Asian nation of South Korea may be in serious trouble as Typhoon Haishen travelled northwards along the country’s east coast on Monday, a day after the powerful storm hit Japan’s southern islands where four people are missing following a landslide.

The Typhoon which carried a top sustained winds of up to 112 km (70 miles) per hour, disrupted power to more than 17,500 households in the southern part of the Korean peninsula as it made landfall in the southern city of Ulsan, the country’s weather agency said.

While moving through the area, it uprooted trees and caused landslides near apartment buildings on Geoje Island, off the southeastern tip of the peninsula, according to footage sent by residents to local broadcaster KBS.

Reports indicated that at least one person was injured when the car they were traveling overturned in strong winds in Busan, the country’s second largest city, where there was also flooding, the safety ministry said in a statement.

As preparation for the storm was on, more than 1,600 people were evacuated, while more than 76 flights across 7 airports, including Jeju International Airport, were cancelled.

Nuclear reactors, which are two in number in the city of Gyeongju, around 375 km (235 miles) southeast of Seoul were shut down, according to Yonhap news agency. Entries to national parks and some national train services have been suspended, the ministry said.

ALSO READ: Nana Akufo-Addo, Ghana’s President now ECOWAS chairman

Kyodo news agency reported in Japan that four people were missing and more than 50 people were injured in the wake of the typhoon.

Also four people have been declared missing in the village of Shiiba, in Miyazaki prefecture, after a mudslide hit the office of a construction firm, Kyodo said.

A woman who fell down a flight of stairs in the dark and four people who sustained cuts after the glass windows of an evacuation centre were blown in, were among the injured.

About 290,000 houses were still without power as of 1 p.m. (0400 GMT), according to Kyushu Electric, with almost 2 million people ordered to evacuate the region, which was still recovering from heavy rains and flooding in July that killed 83 people.

Related Articles

Popular Articles